Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How important is applying early?

Because yesterday was the day when students could start applying to residency programs through ERAS, I've had a lot of clients recently ask me about the importance of getting their applications in now. These are my thoughts:

1. Yes, getting your ERAS in early helps. At the beginning of the season there weren't many ERASes to review so I recall giving more time and attention to the early applications. I was also impressed by students who could get their materials in promptly.

2. On the other hand, if your application is not in its best shape then submitting early is a huge mistake. Waiting a few weeks is absolutely preferable to submitting a suboptimal ERAS that will be tossed into the "do not invite" pile.

For personalized help on your residency application check me out at Insider Medical Admissions.