Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How to evaluate an institution: Notes and vibe

A few applicants have asked me how to keep track of the institutions at which they interview. I do think taking notes immediately after your visit is worthwhile. Writing down your initial thoughts can be very helpful when you have to make decisions months later.

But I have to emphasize that I'm a firm believer in "vibe." Once you've narrowed down your list by geography and quality and once you review your notes, the decision you'll be making will be based primarily on how you felt about an institution. If this sounds too touchy-feely remember that intuition is not a magical assessment; it's based on major and minor facts that you consciously and subconsciously analyze.

For individualized help with your interviews contact me at InsiderMedicalAdmissions.com .

The blog will take a short hiatus over the holiday and the beginning of next week. Have a happy Thanksgiving!