Thursday, December 18, 2008

Offers outside of the match

One of my clients emailed me to say she was already offered a residency position outside of the match but had a short deadline by which to make her decision or the offer was off the table. (This was the first program at which she had interviewed.) She asked me what to do. I'd love to say I had a great answer.

Taking a position outside of the match (before you have time to interview at other places) is safe and very understandable. But some people are risk-takers and would rather wait it out and see what happens in the Match. I don't think one or the other is the right way to go: It really depends on your risk tolerance. I recommend relying on your family and your gut to make a decision like this one because it is so individual.

But such a conundrum is a nice problem to have, huh?


For help practicing for your interviews (as the client above had done) contact me at insidermedical@gmail.com or check out InsiderMedicalAdmissions.com .