Saturday, January 24, 2009

What if I haven't heard about my status?

My recommendation for applicants who haven't heard from institutions is to get on the phone and ask. I've had two clients who have done this and have consequently been invited for interviews at those institutions. One applicant was told she was missing a letter of recommendation (which doesn't really make sense since the process is computerized). The other was invited on the spot on the phone. Additional tips:

1. Be polite. Do not be pushy.
2. Advise the person who answers the phone that you have been offered other interviews (if you have) and that you are trying to make travel plans. (This is honest, and most people are sympathetic to the aggravation and cost involved with organizing travel.)
3. Do no call institutions if their web sites or other materials directly advise you not to call regarding your status.

For help with mock interviews please contact me at insidermedical@gmail.com . After we had practiced together, one of my clients was recently offered a medical school spot by phone within 24 hours of her interview!