Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Contacting programs

I recommend that if you have not heard from a medical school, residency or fellowship program to which you applied that you contact the institution to inquire about your status. (The Match has passed, so, of course, this will no longer work for residency applicants for this year.)

This week I received an email from a client who told me that this technique served her well in getting a fellowship interview. The applicant had not been invited to interview at a particular program, and I suggested she call to ask about her status. By phone she was offered an interview. Two medical school applicant clients told me about similar experiences when they called schools.

Of course if the school or program explicitly asks in their written materials that you don't contact them about your status then calling is not a good idea.

Check me out: www.InsiderMedicalAdmissions.com . I am already assisting applicants for next year.