Monday, April 2, 2012

Insider's Evidence-Based Advising Strategy

As those of you who have worked with me or have heard me lecture know, I use Evidence-Based Advising in mentoring my clients. Just like we use data to drive good clinical practice, I have developed the concept of Evidence-Based Advising to use facts to drive strong application decisions.

In previous blog entries, I've discussed the utility of the NRMP Program Director Survey and the NRMP's Charting Outcomes in the Match in helping to make solid, informed application decisions.

The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates' (ECFMG) data on Match results is another piece of information that can be helpful. For those contemplating applying to an international medical school or for those International Medical Graduates (IMGs) approaching this year's application cycle, understanding IMGs' performance in the Match is important. The current data just came out and is available here.

Of course, basing your decisions only on numbers is not adequate. When we provide excellent clinical care, we use experience, as well as the literature, to make our decisions. (This necessary combination is what makes managing patients during medical school and residency so hard.) For those of you interested in strategy based on years of admissions experience, coupled with Evidence-Based Advising, please contact me for one-on-one help.

I'll continue to publicize useful sources of data for applicants.