Monday, June 25, 2012

The Craft of Writing


Two weeks ago I blogged about the importance of using your personal statement to showcase your accomplishments, while ensuring your essay does not become a resume in prose. In the "The Sound of a Sentence," Constance Hale reviews techniques a writer can use to invigorate his or her compositions. 


During my medical school admissions process, I introduced myself to my Duke interviewer who said, "Ever since reading your secondary essay, I've been looking forward to meeting you!" I had made a favorable impression and distinguished myself through my writing - the goal of my essay. I find some applicants are simply slogging through the process of writing their personal statements. Remember that you only have a small piece of geography to catch the admission reader's attention. Use the personal statement space to your advantage, and don't lose a great opportunity to make a positive impression!


Contact me for help with your written materials - AMCAS, ERAS, personal statements, secondary essays, CVs, letters of intent, etc.


Check me out at Insidermedicaladmissions.com.