Monday, March 20, 2017

Congratulations!

Many congratulations are due to those residency applicants who had a successful Match. I would really appreciate hearing from this year's clients regarding their Matches. 

On a related note, unfortunately, as of July 1, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) will allow first-year residents to work 24+ hours without a break. I'll come out as saying that I think this is a very poor idea.

I remember a horrible week during my internship in which I worked 138 hours (absolutely true). I still have nightmares about the experience. I also remember surgical resident friends who were "rewarded" with operating the morning after being on-call all day and night.
 
Here's an NPR piece and a Forbes piece on the topic. Extreme hours lead to danger for patients and residents and keep talented folks out of medicine.