Monday, December 25, 2017

Happiness: Part 2

Last week I posted about happiness. Unfortunately, I have recently spent a lot of time at an academic medical center with a sick family member. The hours I’ve spent there have made me think further about contentment in medical school and residency.

What I noticed about this highly academic hospital is that the care is outstanding, but the atmosphere is much more collegial than the setting in which I trained. The doctors and nurses are extremely bright and competent. They are also kind and approachable.

The institution at which I trained (and it may have changed in the 12 years since I left) did not have this culture. I experienced unchecked sexism, arrogance, and standoffishness. As I interacted with the physicians and nurses recently, I realized that I probably would have been much happier at an institution that better matched my personality. (Having said that, I met many of my dearest friends and my husband during medical school, residency, and as an attending, and I would not change any of that.)

Bottom line: Yes, reputation is a factor, but culture is really key. You can oftentimes train at an equally excellent place where you will happily fit in.

After all, we’re talking years of your life here.