Monday, July 26, 2021

The Week I Spent 138 Hours in the Hospital and What it Means for your Residency Application

During my internship, on my surgical rotation, I once spent 138 hours in the hospital in one week. If you think this isn't mathematically possible, I will tell you that I was on call from Monday morning to Tuesday evening, from Wednesday morning to Thursday evening, in-house on Friday, and then on call from Saturday morning until the next Monday morning. (I had to stay in-house that Monday until evening rounds were over too.) As you can imagine, I was barely human by the end. How this schedule was good for patient care is beyond me.

I thought of that ghastly time recently when reading this oldie-but-goodie article in the New York Times called "How Job Stress Can Age Us" written by Dr. Dhruv Khullar. The author reports on a study, "Physician-Training Stress and Accelerated Cellular Aging" that assessed the DNA of 250 first-year medical residents around the country. Researchers examined the saliva samples of these residents, focusing on their telomeres - the bumpers at chromosome ends that prevent DNA damage - before and after the first year of residency. Researchers found that the DNA of first-year residents aged six times faster than normal. 

Six times faster.

I found this both shocking, upsetting, and validating. Residency training is as hard as we think it is. 

What I would strongly recommend is that you compare residency programs' hours as you decide where to apply and before you create your Match list this coming winter. Strangely, many applicants don't even consider this important issue when making decisions about their next three to five years. Also, many residencies support physician wellness programs and night coverage. Especially in the setting of severe burnout among doctors, your happiness should be a primary factor in your career choices. If you're not sure, consider your shrinking telomeres.