Monday, November 8, 2021

Happiness

As you interview now for medical school, dental school, residency, or fellowship, it's important to think about what will make you happy in the next phase of your career.

When I was a medical student applying for emergency medicine residency programs, a well-meaning dean gave me some bad advice. I was determining the order of my rank list and was particularly concerned about one program that had an excellent reputation but was in a city I didn’t like. The dean told me, “You’ll be so busy during residency it won’t matter where you live.” Luckily, the advice rubbed me the wrong way, and I wholeheartedly disregarded it. Where you live for your training is as important as the quality of your training program. The reasons are several-fold:

1. Training is time-consuming, and you want to be in a city you can enjoy fully when you’re able to blow off steam. 

2. Training is stressful, and you want to be in a city where you have social support.

3. Training is not completed in a vacuum. Your personal life continues. If you’re single, you may meet someone and end up staying in the city where you've trained for the rest of your life. If you’re in a long-term relationship, you may decide to have children (or already have them); down the road you might not want to relocate your family.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to train at an institution in a city s/he likes. But prioritizing your contentment will increase your opportunity for well-being and career longevity.