Monday, December 27, 2021

Accomplished, Not Lovely

Pre-pandemic, I went to hear the author Nicole Krauss speak about her novel Forest Dark. I'm a big fan of Krauss' writing. The day I heard the author speak, she'd published an opinion piece in the NYT Sunday Magazine called "Do Women Get to Write with Authority?" In the article, Krauss highlights the lack of power women writers have compared to men, and specifically, how female artists' work is often characterized as "lovely," a word she describes as lacking in "independent power."

I must admit that I sometimes use the word "lovely" (both for women and men) when I like someone. But Krauss made me think about the word in the context of achievement - not personality - and her point is well-taken.

When you interview for medical school or residency, you want the faculty member you've met to leave the table saying you were "accomplished," not "lovely." Many applicants miss this point: You don't want to simply be liked; you want to be seen as worthy. It's critical that you focus on that important goal as you practice for interviews, crafting strategic responses to potential questions. 

As an aside, I would strongly recommend Krauss' History of Love, Great HouseForest Dark and To Be A Man.