Monday, August 7, 2023

Four Thousand Weeks

I'm currently reading a fantastic nonfiction book called Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman. Four thousand weeks is how much time the average human has on this earth. That doesn't sound like a lot.

I'd highly recommend the book to those of you who are productivity geeks, folks who are trying to be as efficient as possible with their time - all the time. I'm certainly one of those people.

Unlike other authors, Burkeman recommends that you surrender to the fact that you cannot get everything done and that traditional time management strategies, which are supposed to help you multitask, will fail and cause anxiety. He recommends recognizing that our lives are finite and that we should be in the moment. The author does a fantastic job of persuading even someone like me how important it is to recognize that even if you get your list done, there will always be more items on your next list. 

I'm not much into self-help, but I do recommend this intelligent book.