Monday, September 11, 2023

AI-Generated College Essays

"I hope this letter finds you well..."

When my family and I played around with ChatGPT - asking it to craft silly letters to different people – every ChatGPT response started with that phrase. I quickly realized that originality is not ChatGPT's strong suit.

On top of the fact that most institutions consider AI-generated essays to be unethical (even plagiarism, at Yale), an applicant's ability to write something distinctive (and persuasive) is really what demonstrates his or her worthiness for competitive university spots.

I found this amusing New York Times piece called, "We Used A.I. to Write Essays for Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Here’s How It Went" reinforced my strong distaste for AI-generated personal statement writing.

Although challenging to craft, your written materials are a tremendous opportunity to showcase your creativity and further your candidacy.