Monday, November 20, 2023

Beware: Smart People Can Offer Dumb Advice

Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude and reflection. It's also a time to consider what will make you happy in the future.

When I was a medical student applying for emergency medicine residency programs, a well-meaning, smart dean gave me foolish advice: I was determining the order of my rank list and was particularly concerned about one program that had an excellent reputation but was in a city I didn’t like. The dean told me, “You’ll be so busy during residency, it won’t matter where you live.” Luckily, the advice rubbed me the wrong way, and I wholeheartedly disregarded it. I would argue that where you live for medical school, residency, or fellowship is as important as the quality of the institution. The reasons are several-fold:

1. Medical education/training is time-consuming, and you want to be in a city you can enjoy fully when you have a few moments to blow off steam.
2. Medical education/training is extremely stressful, and you want to be in a city where you have social support.
3. Medical education/training is not completed in a vacuum. Your personal life continues. If you’re single you may meet someone and end up staying in the city where you've trained for the rest of your life. If you’re in a long-term relationship you may decide to have children or may already have them. Down the road you might not want to relocate your family.

Not everyone gets the opportunity to go to medical school or train in a residency and fellowship program in a city she likes. But you can make choices that will increase your chances. Consider these options - and your happiness - as you practice gratitude this week and make professional decisions this coming year.